how to add existing blogs

Home Forums Troubleshooting and How-To how to add existing blogs

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  jamiehout 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

sallam
    Participant

Greetings

WP-Hive makes it very easy to mainain all one’s blogs. But what about blogs hat we have installed in the past separately before using HP-Hive. How can we add them to the WP-Hive system to keep them also updated?

For example, I have an old blog that was installed with WP 2.0.1, using a separate database. How do I move it into hp-hive please?

sallam
    Participant

I figure I should go to my old blog and export posts, then use hp-hive to create a new blog, then import the posts into the new blog. But WP 2.0.1 didn’t have an export feature. Does that mean I should first upgrade my old blog to the latest version?

justin
    Participant

You definitely should upgrade your blog to the latest version. You are very much a security risk running an old version of wordpress, speaking as someone who was hacked keep on top of your upgrades.

I guess that is the best way to do it. It is something I am currently trying to figure out. Currently I am running about 10 different blogs and they all seem to have new plugins on a fairly frequent basis. If anyone else has a better idea please let sallam and I know!

Thanks!

justin
    Participant

Just saw this post in another topic by Ikailo.

Hope it helps anyone else in the same situation.

It is relatively easy to add an existing site to the Hive if they are all in the same database. Here are the general steps:

1. Upgrade all sites to the same version.

2. Merge plugins, themes, uploads, etc.. into the WP Hive filesystem.

3. Add the site in the WP Hive Admin console, using the existing domain, path, and prefix.

4. In your webserver, point the site to the WP Hive directory.

HarryPotter
    Participant

good info

dragnmuse
    Participant

Hello! I’m doing my best to get the plugin installed and working. I already have 10 existing wp blogs that I want to manage using wp-hive. I picked one to be the main blog and activated wp-hive on it. I got the tables from the second blog merged with the first, so that now they are in the same database. So far, so good. Then, I pointed my second domain name at the folder that was the root domain for the first blog.

Then, I went to add the second domain through wp-hive. Using the existing domain name, path, and the prefix already in use (for the existing blog), I entered all the info.

Then, it asked me to install the blog. I’ve already got it installed and running, so I figured I should skip this. But, when I typed the domain name in my browser I was taken to a wp install page. I went back through wp-hive and hit “install blog” thinking that it would “activate” the blog through wp-hive. But, it installed a new blog. Which, when I type the domain name in, now takes me to this this “new” blog. Not to the one that already existed under that prefix in the database.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks!

ikailo
    Participant

Looks like you’ve done everything right so far.

This issue is most likely because of an incorrect prefix. Check the database to see if a new set of tables were installed. Don’t forget the “_” if your prefix has one.

dragnmuse
    Participant

Thank you! Apparently, I did forget the underscore. I didn’t even notice until you pointed it out. So, now that I’ve added the underscore, wp-hive recognizes the blog and it’s working fine.

Thanks again!

dragnmuse
    Participant

I’m having trouble again. I had to change which domain name was the main one, so I’m setting up the hive all over again. I got one site to work, and then tried to add a subfolder, but got a blank page. I figured this was because it was a subfolder, so I removed both from the hive and they worked again separate from the hive.

Since then, every blog I try to add to the hive redirects to a blank page. I did exactly the same thing for the other domains as what worked for the one I removed. I’ve done it more than one time with more than one domain and every time wp-hive recognizes the blog, but when I click on “view site” or put the address in the address bar, I get a blank page.

Any idea why this is happening and how to fix it? Thanks in advance!

Cathy

ikailo
    Participant

Is it actually redirecting, or is it an error?

You can check the webserver output (use a tool like firebug), or check the web-server php logs to determine.

If it is an error, please let me know what the error is.

dragnmuse
    Participant

After a bit of messing around, I realized that the problem was that the active theme was missing from the main hive theme folder. WordPress activated the default theme, but the front end of the blog wasn’t showing the blog with the default theme. I realized this when I tried logging into the admin panel and it worked.

Thanks for such a great plugin. Still waiting for the new version so I can add a few blogs that I have in subdirectories, though. But, I’m being patient. :)

StevenJ1989
    Participant

I am using this also, what does the new version does? Do you think it will be available soon?

ikailo
    Participant

Steven: The current version does support subdirectories.

jamiehout
    Participant

THANKS FOR THE INFO

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.