Same database and content, multiple themes

Home Forums Odds and Ends Same database and content, multiple themes

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jesseauci 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

jesseauci
    Participant

I’m trying to figure out if WP Hive will work for me. I need to operate a website that is essentially styled, or themed, differently but content is identical.

So for example, I might have a red color scheme and a blue color scheme. One is accessed by going to red.myblog.com and the other is blue.myblog.com.

Will Hive work for me?

michel
    Participant

Hi,

I should probably be the last one to answer to a question coz I just joined today and to ask something very similar.

However if you only want to offer the possibility to change color schemes on your theme I would suggest to simply use two (or more) style sheets and short javascript code that on click of a button loads the theme you decided while also remembering the settings with a cookie.

I did this once on a site and I learned it from this article on A List Apart: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/alternate/

This obviously only if your problem concers just css.

If you have to change the whole theme then you have my same problem :D

jesseauci
    Participant

Thanks Michel. I’ll look into. Is there a way I can specify which stylesheet loads by url?

michel
    Participant

Well if you want to use different urls like subdomains you simply change the path to your style sheet in the head tag of your header.

<link rel=”stylesheet” type=”text/css” media=”screen” href=”red.css” title=”default” />

in the red.myblog.com

<link rel=”stylesheet” type=”text/css” media=”screen” href=”blue.css” title=”default” />

in the blue.myblog.com

You probably have your good reasons to do that, however if you want to simply offer 2 styles you can avoid the 2 urls. you can simply use a button with the javascript.

There are probably better exemples but the first that comes to mind to me is http://klubitus.org/kalenteri.php? on the top right it let’s you choose among several color to switch color scheme. simple and effective.

jesseauci
    Participant

Yeah, unfortunately URLs are the only option I have for my situation.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.